BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, December 14, 2009

Little Suspicions

I think I may officially take credit for being the first Youtuber to combine Phantom of the Opera with a Susan Boyle song. I uploaded a music video to Youtube last week using "Wild Horses" from her debut album and I was pleasantly surprised when it climbed quickly to more than 100 views within three days. Although I have 112 subscribers at the moment, not all of them are active (some of the accounts have actually been deleted, but still makes up the subscriber count) and because I joined Youtube later than some of my fellow PotO fans, I do not, by any means, have a huge following.



Anyway, views were climbing nicely and I'm sitting at home all happy, and then they taper off a little, which is fine by me. Then, all of a sudden, literally overnight, the view count for this video skyrocketed into outer space. It increased from maybe 175 views to more than 700 views. WHOA. Now someone tell me, how on earth did that happen in 24 hours?!? I've experienced surprising increases in views for my earlier videos, but nothing like this....

So part of me is really surprised, but overall I'm extremely flattered.

But wait. I checked it again a while ago and although the view count on my channel and the actual video page are different (800-something vs. 995), the view count for this vid has increased at least a further 100 views. Well, jolly good!

However, one thing that strikes me as strange and a little suspicious is that the number of channel views I've received so far has stayed the same for the past 24 hours. Of course, I'm not going to make any naive assumptions, but every time I've uploaded a new video, my channel views would increase by at least 50 views. Over 24 hours, the view count for this vid has increased by AT LEAST SIX HUNDRED VIEWS and....not a single channel view for me?

I'm not trying to appear shallow or superficial, but I can generally expect a noticable increase in my channel views after uploading something new. All I'm saying is, this breaks the trend, and I'd really like to know why.

Which made me wonder if my account has been hacked somehow and computer trolls or robots are artificially increasing my video view counts for that one video. But I sincerely hope not, because I've poured all my life-spirit into that Youtube channel, and to start over from scratch would be psychological torture for me.

Edit: I went through a rather frustrating process to change my Youtube password, just in case...I've also posted a question asking about this online, and the two people who've answered so far reassured me that it's normal and to be expected. This is definitely strange...but I more positive that nothing seriously wrong is happening.

1 comments:

doppelherzx3 said...

Usually for YT views they stop going up at a certain number for about 3 or so hours and then they magically change to their real views. Don't worry! No hacking, just YT failing.